1.24.2008

eternally blonde

may the long time sun
shine upon you,
all love surround you,
and the pure light within you
guide your way on.

kundalini yoga - farewell blessing

i woke this morning to a gorgeous orange-pink splashed sunrise and a phone call from my mother that my grandmother had passed on. yesterday we thought that was declining rapidly and suddenly she was sitting up in a chair talking to me on the phone. all she said to me was, "are you happy?" and i said that i was. i said i was very happy. she told me she loved me and i told her to hold on because i was going to be home soon. she didn't answer. mom said that she fell asleep last night sleeping peacefully and never awaking. this morning the doctor went it to give her her medication and she simply didn't wake up. she went peacefully.

my grandma has battled her entire life and up until the past few years it really showed. when we were younger she was still a wonderful grandma, but she was hard to get close to. she had walls up, especially with my mother. but as her alzheimer's and dementia progressed her ego diminished and all of those walls came crashing down. during this time we truly got to know grandma-her kind heart, her snapfire wit, her all-encompassing love for her family, especially her daughters and grandkids.

memories: the candy drawer, hair appointments at russells, the smell of her back porch with the bins full of gardening supplies, her love for hats, sleepovers, margaritas at maria's, long letters only about the food at the "home," her book deliveries, cinnamon and sugar on skinny bread

thank you for twenty-four years of love and support and laughs. rest easy my love.


2 comments:

AloneTogether said...

i would like to say that your blog has been an inspiration to me today. randomly searching "cowboy boots" as interests... your blog came up similar to mine.. thats how i stumbled upon it.. But your words and quotes reminded me about parts of myself that i had forgotten. thank you.

ananda : sanskrit for bliss said...

thank you. :)