12.12.2007

i have a hard time being indoors all day. i don't like competition. loud noises, extreme temperatures, and big parties all annoy/drain me. i get extremely nervous talking in front a large group of people. i like to spend at least half of my evenings solo doing yoga or writing. i've always though of it as recharging but now i realize i'm just sensitive to a lot of things that other people aren't. i guess it just never occurred to me.

a few months ago one of my yoga teachers passed along the book, the highly sensitive person. at the time i kind of shrugged it off thinking it was too new agey, but i started reading it the other night and it completely resonated with me. most of it anyway. i guess part of the reason i've never admitted it is because it partly felt like a defeat; a weakness. but in a lot of ways my sensitivity is the reason i'm attracted to yoga. it's why i love to write. it's why my apartment is decorated in flowers and paintings and i'm in love with a man who appreciates the same beauty i see.

a few of the questions on the self test:


I am easily overwhelmed by strong sensory input.
I seem to be aware of subtleties in my environment.
Other people's moods affect me.
I tend to be very sensitive to pain.
I find myself needing to withdraw during busy days,into bed or into a darkened room or any place where I can have some privacy and relief from stimulation.
I am particularly sensitive to the effects of caffeine.
I am easily overwhelmed by things like bright lights, strong smells,coarse fabrics,or sirens close by.
I have a rich,complex inner life.
I am made uncomfortable by loud noises.
I am deeply moved by the arts or music.
My nervous system sometimes feels so frazzled that I just have to go off by myself.
I am conscientious.