3.06.2007

the cold hard truth.

up until a month ago, i didn't know taxes existed. well, ofcourse they existed, but not in my world. my lovely little world of chai, bicycles, writing, and yoga class - all of which i'm sure you're sick of hearing about. so when my mom said, have you filed your taxes yet, the little bubble over my head popped and i began to panic. shit, i thought. this will require responsibility, perhaps even some extra money.

and it was true. very true.

yesterday i spent 2 hours and 45 minutes at h&r block with a lovely arkansasian woman named elnora doos-boos. she graciously helped me with my taxes telling me there was nothing to be scared of and comforting me through the entire process. then she asked me to write her a check for $331.

er, what? $331?

i'm poor, i wanted to say. i've just graduated from college. i'm at my first job. i'm living in a very expensive city. and not only does the government want more money from me, but so does elnora.

so i wrote the check and then called up my brother who met me for a very large and very expensive martini (which i made him buy because he's the cheapest person alive) and got very buzzed.

not only am i allowed to pay taxes now that i'm adult, but i'm also allowed to get drunk on work nights.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? How? Jeez, that would suck to owe the government money. Was that for freelance/extra work? Because you'd think they take enough out of our regular paychecks as it is! :)

Anonymous said...

OMG - this totally happened to me my first year in KC. You need tax help next year, my girl, you call ME! (Remember where I work...)

ananda : sanskrit for bliss said...

thank you. i will. :)

Blondie said...

I got a price quote like that the first time I called HR Block. Then I discovered Turbo Tax and have been using it online for a few years. Super cheap and easy. Try that next year if Dorothy can't hook you up. It's a breeze--especially for people like you and me who have no money, property, or children. :) :)