3.05.2007

weekend.

after lying in bed feeling sick for a week, i made this my weekend of rejuvenation. the jury's still out on whether i feel completely better or not, but hell, at least i tried. yoga thursday, friday, saturday, sunday. a bike ride in flip flops on saturday morning to dos gringos for a delicious bagel and chai. a run to adams morgan last night.

saturday night i went to a hot yoga class at the inspired studio on u street. kyra, who led the retreat in jamaica, taught and it was wonderful to to be led by her voice again. with my eyes closed and the room at one-hundred degrees, it was easy to imagine that i was still in the caribbean, eventhough i was sliding all over my mat and thought that i might crack my chin open.

i think i go to yoga to stand still, and i don't mean that literally. almost the entire time i'm there i'm moving, but i'm able to step away from my daily life of habitual email checking, doodling, and my bouncing mind. on my run last night (the first run since christmas eve) i remembered that this is why i run too. i started running in high school because of a desperate need to get away, and though that need isn't so desperate anymore, it is why i run. it's why i write. it's why i meditate. stepping away from my life and then stepping back into it gives me the chance to refresh and take in what is around me a little more clearly.

1 comment:

Blondie said...

You did so much when you were sick! I hope you are feeling perfectly healthy soon. The yoga sounds like it does so much for you--mentally and physically. That's a fantastic thing to have in life!